News Information: Thursday 25th April 2018
The Venus Company becomes first in local Dartmouth area to support and display ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ Scheme
A local social venture founded by two Totnes based mumpreneurs, The Bshirt, is delighted to announce that well-established family favourite, The Venus Company, has become the first eatery in the Dartmouth area to display their ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge scheme.
Launched to coincide with the 1st birthday of The Bshirt, the badge scheme has had a great response from South Hams businesses. The list of sign ups is growing, with The Green Table Café, Riverford Field Kitchen, Hairy Barista, Curator Café & Kitchen, Mange Tout and Waterside Bistro being among the first to display the badges in Totnes.
The Venus Company is proud to display the new badge, commenting: “The Venus Team are delighted & proud to support the ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ scheme. Venus has always been welcoming to families and children of all ages to enjoy good local food at the beach all year round.”
On a mission to empower women to breastfeed confidently and help improve breastfeeding rates in the UK, which has some of the lowest rates in the world, co-founders Lisa and Philippa have been thrilled with the feedback since the scheme launched at the end of March.
Scooping a number of industry awards, including Gold in the ‘best breastfeeding accessory’ MadeForMums 2018 Awards; the Bshirt has gained endorsements from leading influencers and experts - including breastfeeding specialist, author and midwife Clare Byam-Cook.
With both the NHS and Unicef listing embarrassment at feeding in public as a major barrier to breastfeeding, Lisa and Philippa are thrilled with feedback from customers which has highlighted 83% feeling more confident feeding in front of others while wearing their Bshirts*.
Co-founders Lisa and Philippa said: “We are proud to be sponsoring the ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge so that breastfeeding mothers can immediately know which establishments in their area support breastfeeding. There are lots of public places such as cafes, restaurants and shops that are happy to have breastfeeding babies on their premises - but it may not be obvious to new mums that this is the case. We hope that by allowing this scheme to be widely available to anyone who wants to make breastfeeding women feel welcome that we can help to change that.”
To find out more about the scheme, register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
Notes to Editors –
*Findings from Bshirt customer feedback survey
About The Bshirt…
- The Bshirt is a social venture founded by two mumpreneurs with many years of breastfeeding experience between them. Leading the way to improve new mums’ confidence and help to make breastfeeding even more accessible - literally - friends and founders Phillipa Doyle and Lisa Lessware officially launched The Bshirt in March 2017.
- Co-Founder Lisa initially had the idea for The Bshirt after giving birth to her son. As she struggled to find easy to wear clothes for breastfeeding from her own wardrobe, keen crafter Lisa set out to tailor her own breastfeeding vest which would enable her to continue to wear both long and short sleeved tops. Following numerous requests for the same design from family and friends (Phillipa being one of the first) - the first Bshirt was born.
- After working to refine the design based on customer feedback from mums, the new brand is already gaining global interest.
- The UK currently has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world and the NHS and UNICEF both list embarrassment as a key barrier to breastfeeding. The Bshirt is designed to improve confidence while breastfeeding.
- Available to buy online and with independent stockists, collections also include necklaces and breast pads. Profits from the sale of the Bshirt will be donated to established UK charities that support breastfeeding women. www.thebshirt.clothing
- GOLD winner for MadeForMums Awards 2018, Breastfeeding accessory
- GOLD (first prize) with Best Baby and Toddler Gear 2017 for Best Breastfeeding Clothing Brand
- Platinum (first prize) with Loved By Parents 2017 for Best Feeding Top
- Finalists for Made for Mums 2017 Breastfeeding Accessory
- Lift the Flap, Bshirt - Lift the Flap, £21.99 each ~ £37.99 for any two
- Available in sizes 8 – 20
- Colours - white/ black/ grey/ navy / plum
For further information about The Bshirt, to request high resolution images, or to arrange interview time with Co-Founders Phillipa or Lisa, please contact:
Laura Quick – firstname.lastname@example.org / 07807809119
Ethical & Organic
We use only GOTS Certified Organic and responsibly sourced cotton in the manufacture of Bshirt products. This means that there is no use of harmful chemicals, pesticides and dyes. Choosing to buy organic clothing is good for you, your baby and the environment. You can read about our Ethical Fashion Principles here.